In this article we will be looking at how you can tell if your printhead needs changing.
Printheads are tiny nozzles that printers have, their job is to fire tiny ink droplets that make up the overall image of the print.
And they do get worn of and dirty after sometimes, read on to find out more about when to clean or replace these printer component.
There are many ways and reasons why printheads needs changing, which we will fully discuss in this article.
Without further ado, here are signs that shows that you need a new printhead.
1). Print appears faded
- If the print appears faded or parts of the prints are faded, then it’s time to invest in new printheads.
- Streaks in the texts that’s printed, is also a sign.
- Missing texts or blank lines also indicate this.
2). Your printer shows messages that require you to change the printhead.
- Some if not most printers will display error messages stating that it’s time to change it.
- If after some time, your printer does not recognize your printhead or maybe an incompatible message showing, then it’s time to change it.
3). If you are having to clean your printhead regularly in-between six months.
- Cleaning is needed if the prints have missing lines or streaking
- 2 or more instances of cleaning, means that it’s ready to go.
- Your printhead should need to be cleaned within 6 months
- There are cleaning kits that can be bought off of Amazon that can be used to thoroughly clean your printheads
Why do printheads need changing
One of the most common reasons for printhead malfunctions, is that they have been idle for a really long time that the ink has clogged up the line and nozzles.
It is therefore, recommended for printer owners to print atleast once or twice a month, this is to ensure that the ink does not clog up inside their printers.
Secondly, is that the printheads are dirty, although a nice thorough clean will solve this, after a while, it will need changing altogether from wearing out.
As with most electronic and mechanical devices, it will often go throw wear and tear, especially for gadgets with moving parts and will need to be replaced after a few hundreds of use.
So how long should I expect my printhead to last?
It is realistic to expect your printhead to last from 1 year 6 months to 2 years, some printheads may last slightly longer.
Some HP printheads may last slightly shorter than other printheads.